Saturday, January 19, 2013

Advice: The good, the bad and the just plain ugly

We all have been subjected to unsolicitaed advice at one time or another in our life.   People never hesitate to tell you what THEY feel is best for you and how you are doing things wrong.   Especially moms.  Good lord.  From the moment people can tell you are pregnant you get comments on your weight, get told how you better kiss sleep goodbye, someone will bring up that you may poop during delivery (Shout out to the person who said that to me my first pregnancy, that was my BIGGEST fear during my pregnancy  and I didn't poop, so suck on that lady!)...  so many things.   One you have your child, you are feeding them wrong, swaddling them wrong, you should do this you should do that.   Then it comes when you face something difficult like we are with Connor.   I've gotten some horrible comments and advice.  It is my fault he has Chiari because I vaccinated him, I am going to kill him because I wanted to wait to do the surgery until we had another MRI, I shouldn't have brought another child into the world because Connor has Chiari (which by the way we had no clue at the time I got pregnant or even after Everley was born that he had it)...   but with the bad there comes the good.  There are always silver linings, right?  Right???  Yes.... 

Here's some of the good:  

The peppermint and hand massages like I mentioned in the other post,  Coke flavored slushees... I was told they are good for headaches.  Connor woke up with an awful one a few weeks ago and I was desperate.   He wouldn't even let me massage his hands.  What did I do?  Drove over to the gas station and carried both a screaming Connor and Everley into the store.   Fumbled with the slushie machine and got a huge Coke flavored one...  struggled to get out my wallet and pay...and then I handed it right over to Connor.   It was really early in the morning so you can imagine the stank eye I got from the lady behind the counter and the rest of the consumers, but holy shit, it worked!  Plus, he loves slushees and he thought that was pretty awesome. 

My point?  Sometimes you have to listen to the bad to get to the good.   Even if something sounds a little bit strange, don't be afraid to try it. (with in reason, you don't want to hurt yourself or your child)  

I will keep accepting advice and tips.  I may not like everything I have to hear all of the time, but it's worth it for the good stuff.  The diamonds in the ruff. 



3 comments:

  1. I have been diagnosed for 3 yrs now,. I know first hand all the complications from this disorder. I feel for you Buddy! and good job MOM there needs to be more info on this. People look at me like I am crazy when i tell them I have CHIARI II Love and prayer to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, trust your judgment! I'm 58 and had decompression surgery 7 weeks ago after being diagnosed only a month earlier. That's right -- I put up with the nasty headaches, and a lot of the other issues until this Summer when I was in constant pain and was sent to a neurologist, finally. My point is, you've got a leg up on this battle, and you are the best advocate for your son! Hang in there!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete